The audio is out-of-synch with the video in this 32-second clip from a 1980 speech by Paul Weyrich in which he explains why the GOP benefits from low voter turnout. (Low voter turnout, by the way, goes a long way toward explaining the enormous GOP gains in the 2010 midterm elections).
But it’s worth listening to Weyrich, cofounder of the Heritage Foundation, the Moral Majority, ALEC and other conservative organizations, as background to understanding the current legislative initiatives within GOP-governed states nationwide to disenfranchise and impede voters (see “Additional Resources” below).
- U.S. Senate Hearings on New GOP Voter Suppression Laws
- A New Low in Republican Voter Suppression
- GOP Voter Suppression Scams Spreading Fast
- Election Laws Tightening in GOP-run States
- GOP Voter Suppression Shifts Into High Gear in State After State as ‘Tea Party’ Shell Game Exposed
- Maine Elections Chief Uses GOP List To Intimidate Student Voters And Encourage Them To Re-Register In Another State
- The GOP War on Voting | Politics News | Rolling Stone
- Video from the Senate Hearings: